Engineer Interview Questions
Interview questions for engineers vary based on whether you are applying for a position as an electrical, mechanical, computer, civil, or other type of engineer.
However, almost any engineer job interview will include questions that assess your technological knowledge, your engineering skills, and your ability to communicate with team members and clients. Below is a list of frequently asked engineering interview questions.
Some Typical Engineer Interview Questions
- Tell me about the most challenging engineering project that you have been involved with during past year!
- Describe the most challenging written technical report or presentation that you’ve had to complete!
- Describe an experience with a difficult client. How did you handle the situation? What would you have done differently?
- Tell me about your greatest success in using logic to solve an engineering problem!
- Give me an example of a time when you applied your ability to use analytical techniques to define problems or design solutions!
- What checks and balances do you use to make sure that you don’t make mistakes?
- Do you have any patents? If so, tell me about them. If not, is that something you see yourself pursuing in the future? Why or why not?
- What engineering skills have you developed or improved upon during the past year?
- Which software packages are you familiar with? What is the most interesting thing you know how to do with one of these packages?
- What are you doing to stay current with the latest technology?
Civil Engineer Interview Questions
- What appeals to you about working for our company?
- Why did you apply for this particular job?
- Why did you select the given engineering field as your major?
- Describe an occasion when you worked on a team and something did not go well! How did you respond?
- Share a situation when a project or proposal of yours met resistance or was not adopted in a timely fashion! How did you handle this dilemma ?
Questions About Your Personal Attributes
- What strengths make you a good civil engineer?
- What was your professional development plan for the past two years?
- Describe a time when you received criticism from a supervisor or professor. How did you respond?
- Describe your ideal boss.
- What is an example of a problem where you had to think on your feet?
- What will be the biggest challenge for you with this position?
For further engineer interview questions/answers please download our e-book 20 electrical engineer interview questions.